The latest figure released by home office in relation to arrest under the 2000 terrorism act
Statistical News Release
Operation of police powers under the Terrorism Act 2000 and subsequent legislation – arrests, outcomes, stops and searches: Great Britain, quarterly update to 31 December 2013
This statistical release brings together information on terrorism arrests and outcomes, court proceedings, prison populations, stops and searches and port examinations.
Terrorism arrests and outcomes:
• There were 222 terrorism arrests in the 12 months to 31 December 2013, down from 258 in the previous 12 months. In total, there have been 2,586 terrorism arrests since 11 September 2001.
• 114 (51%) of terrorism arrests in the 12 months to 31 December 2013 resulted in a charge. Of these, 55 (48%) were considered terrorism-related.
• 22 of the 23 persons arrested and prosecuted for terrorism-related offences in the 12 months to 31 December 2013 were convicted. A further 30 were awaiting trial. Since 11 September 2001, 391 persons have been convicted of a terrorism-related offence.
• Data provided by the Crown Prosecution Service show that 37 of the 44 defendants proceeded against during the year ending 31 December 2013 for terrorism-related offences were convicted.
• There were 147 prisoners (convicted or remanded) classified as terrorists or extremists as at 31 December 2013. This total comprised 100 terrorism-related prisoners and 47 domestic extremists.
Stops and searches and port examinations:
• In the 12 months to 31 December 2013, no stops and searches were made under s47A of the Terrorism Act 2000.
• 491 stops and searches were carried out by the Metropolitan Police Service under s43 of the Act, a 20 per cent decrease on the previous 12 months.
• A total of 46,184 persons were stopped at ports in Great Britain under Schedule 7 to the Terrorism Act 2000 in the year ending 31 December 2013, a fall of 23% on the previous year. In total, 549 persons were detained after a Schedule 7 examination in the year ending 31 December 2013.